4 Hours drive from Antigua is a little town on the lake Atitlan. It’s called San Pedro la Laguna. This is a very cute place with plenty of bars, restaurants and above all languages schools. There are many things to do in San Pedro la Laguna, read on!
One of the must stop if you come to Guatemala is the Lake Atitlan. Here is our recommendation of things to do in San Pedro la Laguna.
The impression we got is that San Pedro due its touristic development mainly thank to school of languages. Here you can come to learn spanish for very affordable price and, at the same time, enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
The Scenery and landscapes are beautiful, the lake Atitlan is surrounded by Monutains and Volcanos. We arrived here on a coludy day and it was kind of mistyc place. Clouds gave us this feeling of mistery. San Pedro is a colorful town, buildings are painted and shops have artistic paints. Graffiti and Art give an happy atmosphere.
The streets are really narrow and in some of them only a tuc tuc can pass. You can literally touch the walls if you open your arms.
Things to do in San Pedro la Laguna
- Learning Spanish. Read the section “Spanish Schools” below
- Hiking San Pedro Volcano
- Cooking Class. Experience the taste and flavors of Guatemala cooking at the Lake Atitlan Maya Kitchen. This class will help you understand how our Mayan culture and Spanish colonial influence blended together in a perfect harmony through food. You will have lots of hands-on fun learning how to cook up three authentic Guatemalan dishes during this 3-5 hour Guatemala cooking class.
- Cayaking. Rent a Kayak for only 10 QTL (1,25 USD) per hour
- Horseback Riding
- Art Class
- San Pedro Spanish School. One of the top schools in town. since 1997. They offer a great studying program, one to one or in pair. They also offer an accomodation service for students that want to stay in a house of a local family, for an in depth experience. For more info about the school, the programs and prices click here.
- Cooperative School San Pedro. This is another good school, socially involved in helping the poorest families of San Pedro. For more info about the school, the programs and prices click here.
- Mayab School. With very reasonable prices this school is well known in San Pedro and it will give you all the tools you need to learn Spanish. For more info about the school, the programs and prices click here.
- Casa Rosario Spanish Language School. The most experienced school of San Pedro. Operating since 1992, this school knows students needs. For more info about the school, the programs and prices click here.
- Orbita Spanish school. This school is well organized and have wonderful prices! Click here for more information.
Where to eat
- Restaurant Idea Connection. This is the best place for breakfast! Don’t miss the amazing coffee and the tasty pastry. These Italians guys know what people like! THey also offer great food for lunch, closed after 15:00. Well done and fair Play to them! We enjoyed very much the breakfast and the owner was really kind to us. He knwos the area and Guatemala really well and he took the time to seat with us for a chat and giving us many tips! Thanks!
- The Fifth Dimension. It’s not difficult to understand why this is the number one on Trip Advisor! The International cuisine with good vegetarian options will completely satisfy your taste. Great view to the lagoon! Must come! Attention: They close for few months a year during low season from september.
- Sababa. For a nice sandwich or a fresh salad come to this cute restaurants with lake view.
Where to sleep
- Mikaso Hotel offers both cheap beds in dorms or private rooms with an affordable price. This is a great place where to stay as for the location right on the lake, just 5 minutes walking from the main street of the town. In a sunny day you can enjoy the 2 Jacuzzy on the terrace with lake view. Also the restaurant bar on the top floor offer nice food and generous protions. We stayed here and we where very happy with our choice! Recommended. To See more information about the hotel click here.
- For other accomodations click here and find the best solution to fit your needs.
How to get to San Pedro La Laguna from Antigua. Click here.
Consider visiting the Market of Chichicastenango or the other Villages around San Pedro like Santa Cruz or Panajachel.