× News & Articles Directory Events Services Classifieds Ads Sign in Sign out Contact us
Visitodo is no longer actively maintained, but still provides local contact numbers and business details for users, contact +34622905432 for any issues.
Go Back
Author: Sarah Last updated: Tue 30 Mar 08:45
View Mobile Friendly Version ⚡

Spain Student Visa

Getting a student Visa in Spain.

Spain is extremely popular, and it is one of the top places for students. Universities, busy cities, the possibility to learn the Spanish language, and a great nightlife are just a few of the things that make Spain popular.

What is the Spain Student Visa?

A Spain Student Visa permits someone to study or practice, take part in a student exchange, or work as an unpaid intern for over three months. EU and Swiss residents can go to Spain to study without a visa.

There are different types of Spanish Student Visas that are valid for different periods of time. Students need to apply at a Spanish embassy or consulate and provide several bits of paperwork.

It is obligatory to be accepted into a course before applying for a visa.

Student Permit for less than 3 months (90 days)

Students from countries which are acceptable for visa-free entry of up to 90 days, can go on a course without having to obtain a student visa (if the duration of the course is shorter than 90 days).

Those coming from countries that are not accepted for visa-free entry need to apply for a Schengen Student Visa. To study in Spain, applications must be made at a Spanish embassy or consulate in the home country of the student.

Short-term Student Visa for between 3 and 6 months

The Short-Term Student Visa permits students to take a course that lasts no more than 180 days.

The application is not as complicated as the one for longer courses as less paperwork is required. Short-term Student Visas cannot be extended under any circumstances.

Long-term Student Visa for more than 6 months

Long-Term Student Visas permits students to take courses that are more than 6 months long.

Apart from completing the visa application, students have to apply for a student residence card at an immigration office in less than a month after arriving.

For this type of visa, the application involves a larger quantity of paperwork than the other visas. Applicants need to provide a medical certificate and a certificate of no criminal conviction.

Apply for a Student Visa for Spain

Applicants must be offered a place on a course before applying for the Student Visa for Spain. The visa application needs to be submitted between two and three months before travelling to Spain to give enough time for the visa to be processed.

The documentation that is needed varies depending on the consulate, the person’s circumstances, and the course the applicant is looking to take. The price for a Schengen Student Visa is presently at €60 per person.

Documents necessary to apply for the Student Visa.

Though the necessary documentation may vary depending on the case, the necessary documents needed for a Student Visa are:

  2 completed Schengen Visa application forms

Passport (must be valid until the end of the stay)
ID Card (could be driver’s license or national ID card if applicable)
Current student ID
2 recent passport photos (one for each application form)
Letter of acceptance from the course provider
Health insurance

Open Filter