× News & Articles Directory Events Services Classifieds Ads Sign in Sign out Contact us
Go Back
Author: Sarah Last updated: Sun 01 Nov 01:12
View Mobile Friendly Version ⚡

New Year's Eve, how's the pandemic going to affect the party evening?

Is there anywhere in the world that does not enjoy celebrating New Year Eve, in whatever way they deem fit? Whether that means staying at home with drinks and snacks or going out to a party or organised celebration?

Well, the staying home option may no longer be an option – it may be mandatory, thanks to lockdowns, curfews and other restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has said that the recent curfew, which came into effect on the 25th of October, will be in place between 11 pm and 6 am. Not only can local authorities ban inter-regional travel under new measures, but the current 15 day curfew period may be extended for 6 months.

As of writing, the only celebration cancellations have been in Alicante – the Three Kings Parade and the New Year Eve party have both been cancelled. Of course, however, if the national curfew is extended to 6 months then New Year Eve parties are automatically cancelled right across Spain.

It is probably wise then to start planning a private celebration at home with those that live with you. You can still have a great time, without breaking curfew and risking infection.

As expected, it isn’t just Spain that has made announcements such as this. Major cities across the world have said that New Year Eve celebrations were cancelled – at least outdoor, organised celebrations where there would have been mass gatherings.

 

 New Year Eve parties cancelled across the world

 Millions of people, across the globe, are set to miss New Year's Eve celebrations this year because of the current and ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Whether you agree with the restrictions or not, the spread of this virus must be slowed as much as possible. With large gatherings already a no-no, it makes sense that these celebrations be put on hold this year.

Hopefully, there will be no pandemic at all shortly after 2021 starts, but this all largely depends on what we do now.

What cities have said ‘not this time’? Well, Valencia has but who else? Two of the larger celebrations are held in London and New York.

 

London

 The capital's mayor, Sadiq Khan, confirmed on the 23rd of October the news that London's New Year’s Eve celebrations would not be going ahead this year. With the fireworks display cancelled, the mayor has said that he was working on something that “people can enjoy in the comfort and safety of their living rooms on TV”.

The huge fireworks display that is traditionally held on the banks of the river Thames attracts tens of thousands of people as they ring in the new year. Last year, for instance, saw the banks lined with over 100,000 people.



New York

 For the first time in 100 years, New York City has cancelled its iconic New Year's Eve celebration. Around 1 million people normally descend on NYC for the New Year celebrations, and keeping people away is likely going to prove impossible – even with the events being cancelled.

In a move similar to that of London, the President of the Times Square Alliance, Tim Hopkins, has said in a press release that an event of some kind will provide “significantly new and enhanced virtual, visual and digital offerings”. What these offerings will be are still in development.



Whatever you do this new year, whatever form your celebrations take, do take care and stay safe.

Open Filter